Part I, Past and Present
The intentions of Accordion Americana are to tell the stories of working accordionists, some well known and others seldom heard of, and to share their contributions to live and recorded music within the last fifty years. With a few special exceptions, the focus is on the piano accordion and the role that it has played in Americana music, from Roots, Country and Pop music to Blues and Jazz.
Part II, The Future
- I am asking musicians and writers to change their thinking about the piano accordion–to raise their sights and tell a whole new story about the instrument, not the same old story with the same cast of characters. It’s like playing the same old tune, over and over.
- Inspire us by showing something that has never been seen, nor heard on this instrument. Or teach us about the past, by going back to our roots.
- As a music community, we should see the piano accordion as an “American Heritage” musical instrument and to promote it through performances, media and festivals but also to make a conscious effort to bring this instrument forward into the 21st Century.
- It’s important that we advocate for inclusion of the instrument. We should take notice and recognize musicians and bands that use the accordion in their music, especially young musicians and groups.
- We have to stop perpetuating stereotypes about the piano accordion and being negative about it.
- Our musical heritage is a critical link and it should not be taken for granted. We should do all we can to engage with it and cultivate it. As time progressed, Americana music has become our heritage. The pop songs of today become the folk songs of tomorrow.
- We have the power to allow the piano accordion to be regarded as an option for the next generation of music makers. Because, it is through them that this instrument has a chance to survive and participate in the new music that is yet to be composed and performed.
It’s all about the music!
In his introduction of Aaron Copeland, Leonard Bernstein is the first to define Americana music. Please listen…
Accordion Americana was created to entertain and inform only, not to endorse any products or services mentioned on this site.
To subscribe and receive my posts automatically, please input your email address on the sidebar on your right.
All the best!